Wednesday, July 23, 2008
I found out that regular threaded rod doesn't have much of a straightness tolerance on it, the hard way. I'm using pre-made pulleys instead of making my own out of Polymorph, so they have a rim that doesn't allow me to use the belt tight minus one tooth method outlined in the instructions. I pulled the belt as tight as me and a friend could get it and glued it together. Things were looking pretty good until I tried turning the stepper motor by hand. As I turned the pulleys went from their "out" position to their "in" position and the belt slipped. Upon further inspection, I could visibly see each pulley's runout error. I'm going to search for more expensive threaded rod to replace the bent rods.
In the mean time, I'm going to finish the electrical assembly and continue work on the extruder head. I might just design a ball point pen holder, manually move the table in place and draw stuff just for the fun of it. I'm going to take a week or two off of the project, so you won't be hearing from me for a while.
Labels: Threaded Rod
Links to this post: