Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Definitely a McAllan's 12 year old single malt evening...
Little did I know at the time that it was going to take me another three and a half months to print anything useful with it. Neither did I have the slightest idea how much pain and suffering was going to be a part of those months, either.
Well, it's done now.
Being a congenital idiot, I wanted to go Vik one better and do a part of my polymer pump first off. You can see here what I had in mind. I did some modifications to Adrian's excellent Mk II design to let it work with HDPE and my own perversities. I had to use several chunks of wood to make the Mk II into the Mk I AEM extruder.
I decided rather than simply duplicate a Mk II that I'd redesign it a bit and get rid of that chunk of wood that you can see circled in red just above.
I designed the thing in Art of Illusion and made a straightforward rush to just print it way back in March. Biiiiiggg mistake. I guess I made half a dozen rushes to print that darned thing coming at the problem from half a dozen directions.
Finally in June I decided that I had to solve the corner curling problem with HDPE or I was never going to print anything worthwhile. On 24 June on my 60th birthday I cracked that problem. I had to use a loose diagonal infill to get it to work, but work it did.
Since then I've not had a lot of time to work with Tommelise, what with contract deadlines and the like. Last weekend, however, I'd got a little bit ahead and decided to give it a go one more time.
(Read the full story)