Monday, May 28, 2007
Adventures in RepStrapping: Day 1
I decided to cheat a bit and use a commercial RP company (http://www.alphaprototypes.com/) to make the extruder parts for me. I found the price to be acceptable for the amount of time and aggravation it would save me. I ordered the parts on Sunday evening, and got them Tuesday. When I got the parts, I was a bit surprised at their size - though I certainly know approximately what size a millimeter is, all of the close-up pics on the site made me think they were a good bit bigger than they really are. So for those who are as dimensionally confused as I am, here is a picture of the extruder parts with a human hand as size reference: :)
To attach the extruder to the mill's Z-axis, I ordered a spare mill headstock spacer from Sherline, drilled and tapped it, and added a spare chunk of aluminum for support as below:
And here is the Sherline mill, now newly CNC-capable and partially converted into a RepStrap:
If all goes well tomorrow I will have the circuit boards assembled and hopefully an extruder as well.
Links to this post: