Saturday, April 21, 2007
More on the Mk 1 AEM extruder
One of the problems that I faced in building up the Mk 2 kit that Adrian sent along so long ago was that I had worn out the gearmotor that he was kind enough to send along with it. While I was able to slot in a Solarbotics GM2 into the mounting the drive shaft of the GM2 was both shorter and more robust that that of the gearmotor it replaced. I tried to alter the coupling to accomodate the GM2 and ruined it in the attempt.
As well, I did not have ready access to M5 studding and had to replace it with 1/4-20 American threaded rod. Finally, I didn't really have the skill to mill down the threaded rod to seat properly in the bushings that I needed to make. In order to get around these challenges I adapted an early design that Vik Olivier had sketched out.
(Read the full story)