Saturday, April 07, 2007
Controlling the Mk 1 Extruder
Heretofore, I have been running the Tommelise Mk 1 Extruder at fixed settings, viz, roughly 2 amps of heating current and a 25% setting on the gearmotor that drives the polymer pump. Now that I'm doing a lot of printing exercises I decided that I needed finer control of the extruder than that so today I upgraded both the firmware and control panel to allow me to set control parameters for current and polymer pump speed.
Once I had that done I ran a series of calibrations to give me an idea of what the performance envelope looked like for the Mk 1.
You can see a table of the values that I've measured for HDPE over at the Tommelise Blog.