Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Slice and Dice is ready to roll
I shifted over the graphics output of Slice and Dice to bitmaps. Bitmaps are a little less sassy to deal with than simply drawing directly onto a form like I had been before. The overall effect has been to make the processes more robust.
I've also pretty much solided up what Slice and Dice's output file format looks like. Here is a copy/paste of one done for a layer of the little gearmotor coupling in Tommelise's Mk 1.0 FDM extruder.
Hmmm... LOL! Well, it appears that my file format looked a little too much like HTML for the blogspot software to be very happy with it. Oh well, if you want to see what the file looks like you can take a peek here.
I've got to collect those cross-hatched "furrows" so that Tommelise goes from the end of one to the beginning of the closest next one instead of all over the show as it does now. That just requires a bit of post-processing, however. I'm not going to try to do that on the fly.
the first link here is just a basic conversion to xml:
the second link here is how i would suggest doing it. realistically theres not much difference between boundaries and cross hatching... its just a path the extrusion head travels. i combined the two and its pretty simple.
finally, here is one where you could incorporate different materials, heads, etc.
i didnt mean to offend... just that this file format is pretty important and it would be worth it to get it right off the bat. it would be nice to be able to share at least the file format between the projects =)
I'll be looking very closely at those links you suggest and getting back to you with more questions.
Links to this post: