I've managed to successfully move most of the firmware modules over to the new controller board on Tommelise. I've got to rewrite the moveto routine for the z-axis so that it doesn't overrun it's target position. When overrunning means crashing into the xy positioning table it gets to be a serious matter.
At the present rate of certification of functions that I'm going through I expect that I'll be attempting to extude something meaningful by Friday night or Saturday. I'll probably stick to HPP and HDPE for initial tests mostly because I have cut lengths of both which are good for experimentation and moving from one to another isn't a big deal for the extruder barrel. Right now I have about a pound of continuous filament CAPA, one and a half pounds of continuous filament HDPE and about two and a half pounds of continuous filament ABS.
From what I know at the moment I will most likely have to build a separate extruder head for CAPA mostly because it melts at such a low temperature that I can't purge HPP or HDPE with it. Oddly enough, ABS which melts at about 105 degrees C., HPP and HDPE can be used interchangably in the same extruder barrel.
I will be interested in looking at PVC as a CAPA substitute. While CAPA melts at 60 degrees Celsius, PVC melts at 80. It is going to be a lot of fun finding out which polymers are going to be most useful in specific applications.