Thursday, January 04, 2007
First repstrap part made by a repstrap
and carve a framework to mount them.
I ran it through a gcode converter and tried to carve it out of 1/8" oak board.
The first try, the gcode was off and I nearly broke a bit when it went too deep and fast.
The second time, the X axis stuck and I ended up with some very strange looking artwork.
The third try, the Z axis slipped and it cut my parts in half as it repositioned itself
The fourth try... well, see for yourself:
Success! It took about 40min to do the whole thing.
Here is the result mounted to the motors, so you can see how it attaches to the chassis.
(Side-note, I lost the back half of the carving whilst at the hardware store, so only the front piece was actually used.)
Technically the second part printed and used in the reprap project, but I think it's the first one done purely with wood. A little creativity and we can make lots more stuff like this to evolve newer better parts. I'll be scuttling my current repstrap in preperation for a new frame, completely documented with parts and cuts and everything so one dosen't have to go about designing everything from scratch.
i'm really interested in doing milled pcb's. i think that is where reprap will really shine. i also think that whatever design we finally settle on should do both additive and subtractive manufacturing. having both techniques available will open up a huge variety of techniques to us that will allow us to be very flexible.
Links to this post: