Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Finally made the leap...
Anyhow, I've been trying to catch Randy at Glitchbuster for the past several days to reorder some more, but it appears that he is out of touch for the moment, so I decided to reorder through Mouser instead. Mouser got rid of their minimum order restrictions so they're a bit easier to deal with these days, not that I had a minimum order in any case.
While I was ordering at Mouser I decided to go ahead and try out the 18F4610 chip which is much more powerful than the 16F877A. It has some 4 Kbytes of RAM, which should allow me to at least think about putting in a data stack of instructions for the printer and cut down on the comms from the PC. As well, it will give me a chance to try out a direct USB comms connection rather than the indirect serial approach using the MAX232 that I am now.
I'm a bit more optimistic on using the single pic controller, though I'll admit it will take some very.. creative programming.
LOL! Yeah, I'm finding out all about that part right now. :-p
Instead of having tables with definite speed associations, there should be ratios and multipliers.
AccelRate, BrakeRate, etc.
It's the same concept as procedural texturing in computer games. Systems use seed values and algorithms to generate terrain, instead of using massive amounts of graphics to store everything.
The trick lies in getting the right algorithm to reproduce the function.
Links to this post: