Saturday, September 16, 2006
The Imperial Menace
So I'm making do with Imperial parts, materials and measurements and leaving a lot of breathing room for mistakes. I go by two rules.
* Drill holes too small, enlarge them later if you need to.
* Get rod too large, lathe it down later if you need to.
From left to right, we have:
* 2" of 1/2" PTFE rod, with a 1/8" bore all the way through, and a 1/4" section of of tapped 1/4" on the end.
* 2" of 1/4" threaded brass rod, with a 1/8" bore all the way through.
* A 1/4" brass acorn nut, drilled out to serve as a nozzle. Note the solder holding it together, I machined a touch too far in and made a crack in it.
The brass rod is teflon-wrapped and fitted with nichrome wire the traditional way. I had to get special plumbers' tape meant for gas pipes, though -- ordinary stuff wasn't pure PTFE, just "teflon-impregnated".